30 Jan Miracle Waters : Epson Salts
Most of us know about the importance of iron and calcium for our bodies, but what about magnesium? It is the second most abundant element in human cells and the fourth most important positively charged ion in the body. It helps the body regulate over 325 enzymes and plays an important role in organizing many bodily functions, like muscle control, electrical impulses, energy production and the elimination of harmful toxins.
I didn’t realize this but most of us are deficient in magnesium, I have been taking epsom salt baths for years because someone at the gym told me it would make me feel good years ago. It DID, but I didn’t know why……….
According to the National Academy of Sciences, American’s magnesium deficiency helps to account for high rates of heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, arthritis and joint pain, digestive maladies, stress-related illnesses, chronic fatigue and a number of other ailments. WOW!
No wonder why this is one of my favorite nighttime rituals. Soaking in the deep relieving waters of epson salts!
I take 1-2 Epsom salt baths a week, especially after a hard workout days. It will detoxify your muscles, relieve the tension in the muscles & magically take away the pain from all of your dedicated hard work.
I use 1-2 cups per bath, soak for 10-15 min, Light a candle for the ambiance of relaxation. SELF LOVE never hurt anyone!
Definitely a must add to your overall routine, your body will thank you!
Researchers and physicians suggest these health benefits from proper magnesium and sulfate levels, as listed on the web site of the Epsom Salt Industry Council:
- Improved heart and circulatory health, reducing irregular heartbeats, preventing hardening of the arteries, reducing blood clots and lowering blood pressure.
- Improved ability for the body to use insulin, reducing the incidence or severity of diabetes.
- Flushed toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances.
- Improved nerve function by electrolyte regulation. Also, calcium is the main conductor for electrical current in the body, and magnesium is necessary to maintain proper calcium levels in the blood.
- Relieved stress. Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well being and relaxation.
- Reduced inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps.
- Improved oxygen use.
- Improved absorption of nutrients.
- Improved formation of joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins.
- Prevention or easing of migraine headaches.
All this from a bath? Hurray! While there are many different brands of Epsom salt, they are all the same product chemically, and can be found at most drug stores. Find your favourite and indulge.
If you are pregnant or have any health concerns, please check with your doctor before using Epsom salts.